.

.

Monday, June 30

Memoirs of a Band Widow

I just got back into town. I have been traveling alone with two small children and a dachshund for the last two weeks while my loving husband was working at the Northwest Band Camp. I just thought I would jot down some highlights of my journey starting with the drive down to Concord, CA two week ago. I had the Subaru filled to the brim with suitcases, portable crib, Sisters quilt show quilts, travel entertainment and food, and of course two children and a dog. I stopped at the Shasta area rest stop because we all needed a break...and I had to pee. And I realize the logistics of going to the restroom with two small children are hard enough, but throw a dog into the mix(can't be left in the car because it was freaking HOT) So I tie Dante's leash to my belt loop, convince Benson he can go in a stall by himself, and take Luther in with me carefully placing him on the cleanest part of the floor while I get relief...oh yah, Dante's in the stall too. So I'm sure we must have been pretty entertaining to watch.

California was fun. I celebrated my birthday in SF and the highlight of that(besides shopping at Anthropologie, H&M, Forever 21, etc) was getting a slice of chocolate cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory at the top of Macy's then taking it to eat with my sisters in Union Square while the underwear model from Armani, David Beckham, was there LIVE unveiling his ad on the side of the building. Pretty Cool!!

Benson got to attend "grandma's camp" at my mom's house with all the cousin's (six boys) while Becky and I got a little break...thanks mom!

Another highlight from CA was going out to dinner with some old friends from high school...Greg, Kia, and Janelle. There aren't many things that are better then catching up with old friends--I love you guys and thanks for treating me to Turkish kabobs in Walnut Creek, YUM!

After a week in the bay area I headed north...I left Dante with grandma for the time being. I drove a little over 10 hours to get to Redmond. On that leg of the journey not only did my mom offer to take Dante, but she also let Benson borrow the portable DVD player which made for a happy little traveler! On my way through Klamath Falls I stopped to look around. I drove by my grandpa's old house. The current owners have subdivided the lot and built another house where we used to run through sprinklers and have camp outs. I let my two little guys play at the neighborhood park. It was heart tugging watching them swing on the same swings I learned to 'pump' on.

In Redmond I was productive. I usually bring projects to do while I'm there because Ben's mom likes to watch the kids...Thanks!! I re-covered an ottoman(oh yah...in the car inventory there was also an ottoman), made hot pads, re-furbished some old train cases...including new lining. All these projects done with completely awesome fabric of course. I did some shopping in Bend and just relaxed too. Plus I dropped my quilts off for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show which is in a couple of weeks! You can view my quilts on their website, click on lap size then my five are towards the bottom of the page.

There are pictures to document all of the fun I've had---plus some back logged shots from Luther's first birthday. I will post those soon.

Stay tuned for the giveaway winner tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome, Carmen...Grandma's Camp was great fun for Grandma also. You puppy is surviving here, just fine. He has had an attitude adjustment thanks to the cat, but now he knows his place!! It is not chasing the cat. See you soon at the Sister's Quilt show
Love Mom