.

.

Tuesday, June 14

DIY Summer Reading Project...

The last couple of months I have been focusing on a little project by the name of "backyard re-do". Our (usable) backyard is about the size of most peoples patios and until this point in our home ownership we have never really been able to truly utilise the space...until now. But this blog isn't really about THAT project...it's about a fun detail/side thought to the backyard re-do. My friend Brooke inspired me with her set of Letter Rocks. Here is a tutorial on an inexpensive craft project that will help promote reading readiness and math skills while school is out.



You will need about 80 small river rock (2"). Nicely ask a neighbor who has some in their landscaping or pilfer them from semi-public land down the street(I won't tell). Once you have your pretty rock collection you will want to wash them to get the dust and dirt off.
______________________________________________




Choose a wide variety of acrylic paint and start painting...numbers, letters, symbols. I did two sets of consonants, several sets of vowels, two sets of numbers 0-9, and several ma thematic symbols.

_______________________________________________




After the paint has dried use a thick permanent marker and outline all of your letters.






_____________________________________________




Use a clear spray gloss paint to seal the colors and help to prevent chipping. After the rocks are complete store them on an outdoor table in a neat basket.




Sit back and let the learning begin...














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice, they turned out perfect. On to reporting about the other project....

Beth and Shae said...

So great! I love how it is all coming together. Can't wait to see the backyard.

Anonymous said...

Having taught reading for many years....I Love, Love this project!!!!! Perfect for summer and perfect for making learning fun!!! Terri (your mom's coffee friend)